Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Spinalonga
The idyllic scenery of Crete’s Northeast coast
Driving along the North East coast through the gorge of St George we reach the picturesque town of Agios Nikolaos.
Here we board a boat and Spinalonga Cruise starts. A Cruise along the Mirabelo gulf. Passing the Kri-Kri Island, the Cave of the pirate Barbarossa and the bird island, we reach the small sandy bay of Kolokitha, where the boat will be anchored. Here you have plenty of time for swimming at the crystal clear water, and a BBQ (optional) will be served on board. We then proceed to the small island of Spinalonga.
Visit to Spinalonga, the leper Island
Spinalonga has had a very chequered history and today, although uninhabited, still echoes with ghostly reminders of the past.
The Venetians constructed a very impressive fortress with 40 cannons which has been guarding the bay since the 15th century.
At the beginning of 19th century human pain and sorrow was scattered around this islet. It became a leper colony, the last active leper colony in Europe, and it remained so until 1957, when it was cleared by the Health Authorities, leaving the place uninhabited.
We then return to Agios Nikolaos where you have time to look at the shop windows and visit the bottomless lake, where the “Lotus Eaters” the well-known film was shot.
- Professional and Multilingual speaking guide.
- Transfers with air-conditioned luxurious buses.
- Free pick up service from any place between Malia – Agia Pelagia.
- Boat ticket to Spinalonga and Barbeque (12€).
- Entrance to Spinalonga (8€)
- Tips and Individual expenses.
- We offer you a free pick up service from Agia Pelagia to Malia.
- After you have booked your tour, we will let you know the exact place and time of pick up by email or phone.
- Free of Charge for Children up to 4 years. • 50% discount for Children 5 – 12 years old (tour prices & extras).