Duration: 8 Hours approximately, 128 km.
Day available: Mon., Wed., Fri.
Language: en, ru, de, fr, nl
Location: Elounda, Spinalonga, Agios Nikolaos, East Crete
Spinalonga, Elounda Excursion, Agios Nikolaos is a trip not only to other places, but also a trip back in time, since it carries the sensation and the feel of another era.
The route along the northern coast of the island takes us to the small fishing village of Elounda
What is Elounda known for?
- Elounda is known to the older of us from the popular 1970s BBC television series “Who pays the ferryman”.
- The village became also well-known through Belinda Jones’ novel “Out of the Blue” and lately, through Victoria Hislop’s world best-seller “The Island”.
- Today Elounda is a popular holiday resort, often visited by VIPs for the luxurious beach resorts that are situated in the area.
Spinalonga, the island of Lepers
From Elounda, we take the boat that gets us to the small and sorely tried island of Spinalonga. The history and the culture of the island of Spinalonga became one with human tragedy in the course of time.
This small Spinalonga isle carries within the history of:
- Ancient Greece as it served as a natural guard for the ancient city of Olous
- The Saracens as a hide-out for their pirates
- The Venetians as their fortress
- Turks as their settlement
- Contemporary Greeks as their dwelling, or better, as the place where their leper would be sent into exile until 1957.
We stroll through the village roads. We are listening – along with our guide’s narration- to the cries and sighs of the diseased exiles. They seem like having been curved on the rocks and the walls of the houses and admiring the exquisite beauty of the area.
Finishing our touring on this much afflicted place, we head for the small bay of Kolokitha. It’s one of the most beautiful beaches on Crete. It is a remote beach with white sand and deep blue serene water, side by side with old olive groves. There we can swim and taste the delicious BBQ served on the boat.
After our short respite, we go back to Elounda.
Then we move to the picturesque town of Agios Nikolaos, where we have our last stop. We have the chance to enjoy our coffee getting a perfect view of the magnificent lake, do our shopping in the traditional local shops and relax for a while before we hit the road for our going back.
- What’s Included
- • Professional and Multilingual speaking guide.
- • Transfers with air-conditioned luxurious buses.
- • Free pick up service from any place between Malia – Agia Pelagia.
- What’s Excluded
- • Entrance to Spinalonga (8.00€).
- • Boat ticket and Barbeque (12.00€).
- • Tips and Individual expenses.
- We offer you a free pick up service from Agia Pelagia to Malia.
- After you have booked your tour, we will let you know the exact place and time of pick up by email or phone.
- Free of Charge for Children up to 4 years. • 50% discount for Children 5 – 12 years old (tour prices & extras).